I've read about people making power with a Lister clone and using the waste
heat in the house. Apparently its possible to find significant savings there.
Lister engines are super cool too...
-Curt

      From: Dan Penoff via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
 To: Okie Benz <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Cc: Dan Penoff <d...@penoff.com>
 Sent: Friday, September 11, 2015 3:41 PM
 Subject: Re: [MBZ] Turbines for power and heat [was Re: The demise pf Pruis
h*ters]

This reminds me that Kohler was doing something not long after I had left with
“capstone” turbines.  Not sure of the significance, but I do recall the term
being used.

I know they would have been relatively small units, if I recall in the
10kW-15kW range.

They were talking at one time about producing them for use by restaurants like
McDonald’s and Burger King to peak shave and provide hot water.

The projects I worked on that predated this were for the GE “Smart House” in
Maryland.  One system we actually built and had operational there consisted of
a three cylinder Yanmar diesel converted to natural gas running at 1200 RPM.
There was a power management system using high current TRIACs that would allow
the loads to be switched between the utility and the generator based on load
balancing and peaks.  It was crude by today’s standards but worked well.  And
the engine also produced hot water for domestic use through a heat exchanger,
too.

One unit we took out of service had over 12,000 hours on it without ever being
shut down or taken offline.  It could have gone a lot longer.  The insides were
almost like new.

Dan