I suspect he’s talking about the legacy Listers, not modern day ones.

The “originals” Listers were practically machined out of a solid block of
steel.  You couldn’t kill them.  20,000 hours was not unheard of without any
service other than basic maintenance.

I used to work for a guy years ago who was big into supporting missionaries in
third world countries, like Africa.  We would build up generators using a
Lister ST-1, a single cylinder Lister, and a 3kW-4kW alternator (generator) on
it.  Nothing more than that and a hand crank and hose to go into the Jerry can.
 We would weld them up into steel barrels for transport and tack weld a chisel
on the outside of the barrel.

When they arrived at their destination the locals would break the chisel off
and chisel the barrel open to get the generator out.  We learned this the hard
way, as the first couple we shipped never made it as we just closed the sealing
strap on the drum with a shipping seal. When they arrived the drum would be
empty….

Dan