Chryslers Turbine Cars of the '70s

".....There were numerous functional challenges and limitations with the
Turbine Cars, of which sluggish throttle response was the biggest. This is an
inherent design limitation of turbines, as they need to spin up to over 40,000
rpm to develop full power. The Turbine Car had a one and a half second lag from
first pressing the throttle. That could be considered dangerous; it certainly
would by today’s standards. Throttle lag was noticeable at higher speeds too.
Performance was reasonable, about 12 seconds 0-60, but substantially less than
if a 383 V8 were under that sleek hood. One extended test produced an average
fuel economy of 11.5 mpg. Not terrible, but far from good. A comparably-quick
conventional car at the time would be expected to achieve about 15 mpg.

The turbine offers the potential for superb longevity, but that depends on the
extent to which exotic and expensive materials are utilized. Chrysler’s own
test found that its turbine had a lifespan of “up to 175k miles”. Good for the
times, but not really exceptional. Chrysler’s own slant sixes would typically
go that far or further.

The scope of this article is not to fully explore the pros and cons of
Chrysler’s turbines and their theoretical development potential. Suffice it
say, the changing climate on emissions and fuel economy played their part in
finally ending  the turbine program during the seventies. But the biggest
single hurdle was cost. In Chrysler’s own words: “the technology did not exist
to produce turbine engines at a price anywhere near competitive to conventional
internal combustion engines...."

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2009/11/the-truth-about-why-chrysler-destroyed-the-turbine-cars/