In 1893, newspapers reported the discovery of a hodag in Rhinelander,
Wisconsin. It had "the head of a frog, the grinning face of a giant elephant,
thick short legs set off by huge claws, the back of a dinosaur, and a long tail
with spears at the end". The reports were instigated by well-known Wisconsin
land surveyor, timber cruiser and prankster Eugene Shepard,[1] who rounded up a
group of local people to capture the animal.[2] The group reported that they
needed to use dynamite to kill the beast.
www.wikipedia/hodag

A photograph of the remains of the charred beast was released to the media. It
was "the fiercest, strangest, most frightening monster ever to set razor sharp
claws on the earth. It became extinct after its main food source, all white
bulldogs, became scarce in the area