Hey, y'all remember Parnelli Jones's turbine car at the Indy 500, right? Mid-late 60s? I think he ran it 2 years and it was cleaning up the first time until a transmission bearing broke. I forget what happened the next year, maybe a crash? Then the race organizers banned turbines. I don't remember much about it, I was fairly young, but I am assuming the turbine just ran at some fairly constant RPM and the tranny handled the speed aspect. I think the advantage was it had high torque that let him sprint out of the turns. I should study that some.

--R