Folks

i've been out testing the 82 300TD AC and car.

I replaced the r4 compressor again about 2 weeks ago.

Last week i dragged a 1500 lb printing press to Tupelo, MS from athens, ga
relatively uneventfully. As i left there i had no vacuum or boost on the
brakes. Fortunately, the trailer was unladen on the return trip. Back in
athens, i was preparing to change the vacuum pump but got the idea to blow out
the check valve of the pump. I had already flushed it with some solvent. I blew
it out with the air hose last week and i've had good boost ever since.

So, Tuesday afternoon, i went out for another test. I drove 600 miles to
indianapolis, in. There i picked up a 1000 lb press and probably 500 lbs of
lead type.

I turned around and left indy about 5 pm wednesday and made it back to athens
about 4 am.

I stopped at the i-75 georgia welcome center about 1 am and made some coffee.
When i started back up the starter made a weak GRRR sound and barely turned the
hot engine over … which fortunately started instantly. I decided, wisely, that
i shouldn't shut it down.

I had some much crap in the car that i couldn't have much hope of finding the
meter, so i never checked for charge.

As i was on the home stretch about 10 miles out, i noticed that the lights
dimmed slightly when i put the AC blower on high fan.

When i got home, the starter wouldn't turn the engine over.

i am charging the battery now to start it and check the charging.

The alternator belts are tight and i guess i should check the rear wires to the
alternator.

So, AC test successful …. alternator test, less successful.

I drove about 2000 miles in the last 8 or 9 days …. 1000 miles dragging 1500
lbs … ac works

brake vacuum still good and maybe i'm not charging.

Had i realized that i wasn't charging, i'd have unplugged one headlight to
diminish the load on the battery

Not doing anything special i seem to have had 3+ hours of running with radio
and AC and lights, etc …. which is pretty good.

thanks,

xx rick
Rick Hawkins

www.javaphoto.com