On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 4:51 PM, Craig via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
> Is there something better than the typical consumer DSL modems? Or are
> they now good enough? (Maybe I ought to resurrect our Cisco PIX-501
> firewall.)

I have a Cisco router with the DSL line card.  It was nice but I had
no performance benefit over the consumer DSL modem, and it frustrated
the customer service folks to no end.  I ended up putting a
Netgear/Westell 7550 in switching mode and it works just fine; it has
been up for several years straight now.  In Durham we were right on
the end of a long line, and I did not see any noise benefit with the
Cisco versus the Netgear.

Given that I got two 7550s for less than the price of the line card at
a thrift store, and the power utilization is much lower, I would
recommend them (or the 7500, which is the same but with no wireless -
and BTW you should turn off the wireless because it's awful).

To be honest I'd not be too worried about the performance of any
legacy DSL modem, they might differ at the distance boundaries but I'm
not sure your telco will sell you that speed anyway.  VDSL/ADSL2+ are
different but AT&T won't let you bring your modem, so I haven't really
looked into it.

Best,
Tim