I would suspect the fuel filters unless you KNOW they have been changed recently. They also act as water collectors and can crap up badly with little or no warning.

Fuel suppliers for large equipment are notorious for delivering bad fuel, too -- I've had to diagnose the contents a few times, including silicate (clay) dust that went through the filters and destroyed the engine at least once.

It can also take some cranking to get the IP to deliver fuel on those engines, again a well known issue. Bad idea to ever let them lose prime.

Stanadyne injection pumps are also well known for solenoid failures -- clicks by the valve itself it broken and won't open.

You should be able to prime the filters with the hand pump, verify that it pumps with the filters off. It works like an MB with a pressure relief valve and a fuel return, although I don't know if the relief is in the pump or if there is a fuel return to the tank.

Peter