Well, I certainly wouldn't go buy a new Subaru.  I bought my 97' with 92K
miles for about $7400 around 6 years ago.  It's got 212K on it now and other
than an alternator around 140K, all it's needed was a water pump last week.
Though I'll agree, the mileage might not be that much better than some truck
you're considering if it's small enough.  However, if it's a Chevy, I could
almost guarantee the Sube would be more reliable.  However, if you find
yourself hardly ever carrying more than two people and frequently using the
bed, then the truck might be the better bet.  (though personally I'd go find
a used Toyota at that point).

The E-bikes are kind of like the E-cars.  They work well (you can use them
without pedalling at all), but they're greatly effected by hills.  And if
you don't pedal at all, they can drain pretty quick.  But you can travel at
around maybe 12mph with a pretty gental pedal on flat pavement.  you can do
20mph or better if you're willing to really go at it.  It just all depends
on the conditions as to how well they will work.  The nice part with them is
that the chargers are small enough that if you use up the juice on the way
to work, you could pop off the battery (even if you leave your bike outside)
and plug it in at work so it's good to go for the ride home.  I bought a
second battery for fear of running out.  Problem is the weight.  I bought a
rack, but it's hard to keep that 35lbs-ish of battery back there without
falling off if you go over anything rough...  And it feels like I'm pulling
the seams apart if I try to put it in a backpack...

Levi (: