Hello MB-ers.

I was first drawn to MB diesels by the unmistakable sound of the 1976 300D that my Uncle Al bought new when I was about 4 years old. I couldn't see, but I could hear that car dieseling down the street whenever he was in the neighborhood. I would always ask him "how many miles do you have on it now?" Through the next 20 years, the figure climbed to 380K miles which was unbelievable to me! By that time, it still ran ok, but it was becoming too slow to climb the hills of San Clemente, CA. I wanted to have that car when he was ready to get rid of it, but it was truly warn out. I told myself that I was going to have a 300D some day! About 5 years later in 2002, I finally had enough money to buy my first MB diesel. It was a 1978 300D with 178K miles on it for $2500. Everything worked for a while, and it was a very solid car! I found out after joining this group that I may have paid too much for it, but... I wanted to get some advice and tips to properly care for the car which I got from Marshall and others who saved me a lot of time and money too! I've used the relatively small bit of wisdom that I've gotten from this group to help others on another group. It's nice to be a part of the network of classic MB diesel owners around the world. I'm currently benzless now, but not ieselless with a Dodge Cummins diesel pickup in the driveway. However, there will always be a spot in the driveway for a Mercedes diesel.

Kevin in Hillsboro Oregon