My uncle was into camping at the lake, take the tent and boat and all the other crap, spend a weekend or a week. He would always go buy some white gas for the lanterns and stove, and maybe the boat too. I remember the gas station had a separate pump for it, marked "white gas." I never understood exactly what it was, but it smelled a lot different from regular gasoline and was pretty much clear.

--R