Later is always better, except for the 1974-5 450SLs, which were blast furnaces
under the hood due to efforts to meet pollution controls and the installation
of under hood catalytic converters.

1981-2 380SLs should be checked for single row timing chains, an engine killer
that has pretty much been eliminated, but could still be lurking out there.

I'm not aware of any U.S. spec manual transmissions, unless they were special
ordered. There are some out there that have been converted after the fact, but
again, are rare from what I've seen.

Look around on the R107 forum on BenzWorld as well as other online venues to
learn more. John Olson's book is good, but pricey.

Dan

Sent from my iPad