What Peter said.

Vuescan is great, and a real deal for the price.  I haven’t found anything that
works better or has more flexibility for setting up workflows with a scanner.

Dad moved over the Ektachrome in the late 50s, early 60s, and the emulsion on
those really took a beating from the projector lamp and storage.  Many of them
were faded and washing out, nowhere near as badly as the Kodachrome slides.
Thank goodness for cardboard slide mounts and the date stamps the processors
used at the time.  With Dad long gone and Mom not so good when I was doing this
it was a big help keeping things relatively together.

I used to shoot Kodachrome in medium format.  Amazing colors and range, not to
mention archival stability if stored properly.  Fuji had some good slide
emulsions in 120/220 as well, despite being somewhat blue shifted like
Ektachrome.

Dan