Reminder: The dangerous situation arose from hiring a "professional" Professional or no, it pays to learn how things are supposed to be done so you know if you are getting ripped off.

In a previous post I called the "professional" electrician an executioner. That was not entirely a funny comment.

After watching this from afar with some level of incredulity, I'll step up and give my opinion based on a decent knowledge of the NEC and having wired several houses myself:

Hire a professional. One that is licensed and will pull permits. If you don't know who to call, call the town or county that issues permits and ask to speak to an inspector. Don't ask them for a direct referral, as it puts them in an ethical dilemma. Just ask them for the names of two or three residential electricians that do work in your area.

As for the hot tub, I have been shaking my head in amazement that no one has been electrocuted. Even if asshat electrician bodged up the job, and it sounds like they certainly did, I wouldn't let them near a battery powered flashlight after this.

This is NOT a DIY project if you have no experience or are even remotely unsure of your ability. There are so many things that can go wrong if it's done incorrectly that you literally risk the integrity of your home and potentially expose you and your family to death, either by electrocution or a fire resulting from improper wiring.

There are some things best left to professionals, period. Also, the indicator of one's intelligence is knowing one's limits. You've hit a limit. Pay the electrician to do it correctly and spend your time working on some of your cars.

Dan