not "H" series bonds that mature at their face value, but bonds that continued to earn interest. Some of them were worth 5X-10X their face value as a result.

I was given a $50 savings bond shortly after my birth.  I cashed it in
after college, while I was waiting for my first paycheck.  I think it
was worth about $150 by that time.  Couldn't think of a better way to
have spent it, I lived on that money for 3 weeks at the very beginning
of my adult life.  I was otherwise tapped out.

-- Jim