Craig.
Thanks for the reply.
I do have the wrench (bit) for the axles.

From: Mercedes <mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com> on behalf of Craig via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: 02 December 2015 01:03
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Cc: Craig
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT (Mercedes question)  Diff Change

On Tue, 1 Dec 2015 18:42:42 -0600 Curly McLain via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> Assuming you have the special wrench for the axle bolts, it is pretty
> simple.  unbolt the axles, unbolt the flex disk.  loosen the mount,
> and drop it out.

Some pumpkins do not use axle bolts requiring the special wrench. Our
1982 240D and the 300D differential that went into it required draining
the gear oil, removing the back of the diff, and removing a circlip for
each half-shaft.

Craig

> >FFolks.
> >
> >I going to be replacing the pumpkin for the '87 300TD this weekend
> >and I wanted to ask if there were any caveats? I have the 3 mounts
> >to be replaced, also. The drive joints, center mount and bearing
> >were replaced previously, as was the LHS wheel bearing.
> >
> >The diff. whines a basso profundo lament as power is applied.
> >
> >Supposed to go up to 60 deg. this weekend and this may well be my last
> >chance.
> >

> >Fred Moir.
> >Lynn MA.
> >Diesel preferred.

Craig

----------------------------------
Present: '82 240D/3.0   Bluebell   278 kmi (Still need to fix leaking
                                            oil pressure gauge and do
                                            something about the failed
                                            hood paint and attend to the
                                            headlight switch)
         '89 Chevrolet G20 Beauville Van (affectionately dubbed the BRV,
                                         the Big Red Van)
Past:    '95 E320       Sebastian  135 kmi   RIP
         '94 E420       Oskar      127 kmi   RIP
         '86 190E/2.3
         '72 220/8
         '64 190Dc      Emma