No, the symptom of a bad b2 piston is you shift into drive and it never goes into gear. If you have the "shift into gear and it takes 3 sec" then the tranny is probably just worn out.

Loren Faeth wrote:

The 88 TE I bought in VA should arrive in the next few days. It was sold with a non-working trans, but was supposed to be able to move enough to drive on a transport. When the transport got there, the car didn't start. I don't know other symptoms yet. Since I am new to auto trans diagnosis and repair, could someone list the symptoms related to a B2 problem.

I understand the B2 symptom of "I shift it into gear and then it takes 3 seconds to engage." But what are other failure modes?

Are there any other failure modes that can be repaired with the trans in the car?

If anyone can describe symptoms or how to determine if I need a rebuilt or used trans?

I'll spare yall the " I hate auto trans" rant ; (