Last night, for the first time in 20 years, the Genie overhead door started
stopping midway, backing up, and generally misbehaving.
Using the 'net and the very complete manual that came with the Genie, I guessed
that the trouble was in the little unit that ran up and down the long screw,
pushing and pulling the door open and closed.
Opening and closing the door by hand is not easy since the the long spring that
helps support the door had weakened over time and the door was "heavy" to raise
and lower by hand.
There was a little bit left in an old can of WD-40 that my wife had used to
remove sticky labels, so I squirted it in the little unit and the motor/screw
area, crossed my fingers, and hit the button.

Voila! It opened the door normally and did so as well today. I don't expect
that fix to last, so I'll order another small unit and hope that the trouble
wasn't in the motor/screw area.
Many people poo poo WD-40, but it definitely gave me time to do a better fix
later.
Gerry