Youngest son wants to bird watch. I would like to get him a reasonably decent pair of binoculars without breaking the bank.

Since this august group has such a diverse range of experience, I was wondering if anyone here had experience with such and would be willing to share.

Thank you,

Dan

Optics generally have the price/quality  nearly linear.

Tasco used to be a decent tradeoff price/quality at the low-mid end.

If you could find a set of prewar to 1943 Mfgr german binocs, the quality would be as good as any.

Zeiss was always considered one of the top end.

How much $$$ or $$$$ do you want to spend?  (willing to)

my 3-9x scope made a good monolular. I set it to 9 when I got it 50 yrs ago and rarely moved it. Having the monocular attached to a long object that can be held with both hands and steadied against a tree makes the higher powers more usable.

generally 6- 8x is about as high as you can go without a steady rest of some form.