John Berryman wrote:
I never blowed-up an engine inadvertently. I have torture tested engines until they blew, intentionally. I'll claim I did it for science but there was some fun had too. 1 good fire that required a visit from the Fire dept. I mean I've seen, rebuilt, dissected, gave last rights and signed the death certificate plenty of engines all for customers or other people. I wish digital photography existed 35 years ago, I've seen some real beauties. Anyone have any cool Blowed-up engine stories and/or pics? Blown trannies and rear ends? Any parts severely damaged by neglect, abuse?

In 1998 while heading from Pgh to Wash. DC on the PA turnpike one cold, dark, wet, January afternoon I heard somewhat abnormal engine noise from my '84 190D 2.2 (automatic) and pulled over to check oil, vacuum pump, tensioner, etc. and found them all tolerable. This was a car I'd owned for about 5 years and had put about 75kmi on (mileage at the time was 180+kmi). The engine was running very well, but making a little more noise than usual and the noise was NOT familiar. Wasn't lifer, tensioner, combustion or vacuum pump noises but it WAS noisy. I proceeded but within 5 minutes heard a BANG and saw a cloud of something in the rear view mirror - and power was reduced (hard to make even 55 going up hill). As I pulled over again, idle oil pressure was very low (under 0.5 bar - normal was 1+ bar).

Looking into the engine compartment (it was a VERY dark, rainy day) I saw nothing obviously wrong although there was some oil on the back bumper. I shut down the engine and checked the oil. It was several qt lower than it had been previously so I added a qt. Started the engine again and it don't sound at all well and after driving for maybe a mile (oil pressure was slow to rise to 3 bar at running speeds) I gave up. I had the car flat-bedded to my step-son's shop in VA where we determine that a rod (#3) had come thru the side of the block right at and above the front edge of the starter. There was a hole about the size of a fist in the block. I purchased a used engine and while waiting for it to come in and then for sufficient time for step-son to install it, he started and drove the car into and out of the garage daily for more than a month (sure did sound funny though).

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi