On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 10:20 AM, Dan Penoff via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
> When I was younger and especially as a child growing up in a very politically
> active household, I never experienced the vitriol of the likes that we see
> today.

Only because you're such a baby:
http://mentalfloss.com/article/12487/adams-vs-jefferson-birth-negative-campaigning-us

That's just the tip of the iceberg.

> I wonder if it's not due to the various news organizations and talking heads
> that get the masses all whipped into a frenzy.  Especially those who cater to
> people who might be less educated and more susceptible to parroting ideas
> that are not of their own thought process.

There's a lot more on the A/J campaign, several books about that era.
A root of the problem was that the newspapers at the time were
explicitly partisan, and would cater to extremes in order to sell more
papers than their rivals... but ultimately you should read any of the
books.

> It's one thing to have opposing views, but to disrespect another just because
> they think differently from you is something that I have a hard time
> understanding.

Oh yeah?  Sez you.

Best,
Tim
wants to work on the SDL now that diesel is cheap again, but now that
the Christmas rush is over it's cold again :(