I saw this thing and it looked to me like what an R-class should actually be, tarted up of course to wear the star, and with fragrance dispensers to cover up the smell of puking chirruns in the back. Now that Fiat owns Chrysler, I guess that won't happen.

Coupla years ago we rented a diesel T&C meenievayan, badged as a Lancia, in Italy, which I guess is a Fiat in disguise too. I shall admit to everyone now that I actually kinda liked it...

http://jalopnik.com/2017-chrysler-town-country-this-is-it-1752175922

--R

When the R came out, there was a dogcrypsler that looked very similar. I suspected both were the same platform. "Experts" assured me they were not. However after I saw that post-merger dodge vans had ATE and other components from das vaterland, I still suspect there was some interchangeability between the R and the dodgcrypsler products.

I always hoped, during the marriage, for a MB version of the grand caravan with an OM engine and MB trans. The new "Vito" is supposed to be here now, but Vito has a bad reputation for reliability, so who knows how good/bad it is. The grand caravan is still the best small van option, unless you never haul anything but chirruns, then maybe an asian POS might be desirable.

I enjoyed driving the heap SDL on the 1300 mile trip, but I generally prefer the van for long trips.

The GC/T&C gets a bad rap.  It is an excellent vehicle.