On 2/8/06, Hendrik Riessen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I could argue that only since
> the class system was truly introduce in 94 can a big merc be called an S
> class.

I know the term "S-class" was commonplace (or at least became commonplace)
sometime during the lifetime of the 126, though I don't have any handy way
of proving it---it's just something I remember from '80s car magazines.  The
rest of the letter-based class system was definitely an invention of the
Mercedes marketing department for the 1994 model year, though.  I snicker
whenever anyone refers to a 123 as an E-class.  (Although that's not as bad
as when people refer to a "300" or "500" Mercedes, etc., as if that means
anything without the letters.  Isn't eBay's category system still set up
that way---as if the numbers indicated a chassis like they do with BMWs?)

Alex Chamberlain
'87 300D Turbo