Peter,
My 1980 300SD was sold in the Atlanta area and has spent its entire life in
Georgia. It has rarely ever been exposed to salt. Hence, the body is in
excellent shape. I had the leather and seat pads redone about 18 years ago and
they are still fine. It starts a little slow when it's below 30 degrees, but
starts fine in warmer weather. It still has good power/acceleration and is a
joy to drive. If you like your 87, I'd fix it up. I'm sure it still has better
material in it than the new models.
Best Wishes,
Roger
Roger Hale