On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 11:29 PM, Curly McLain via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
> What is the most cost effective way to convert VHS to dvds?  This seems to
> be capable of the job.  Reportedly able to play vhs, convert it to HD
> through some magic, then record the result on DVD.

Recall that many commercial (Disney) VHS will have Macrovision copy
protection so this scheme won't work on those:
You can get a standalone DVD recorder from a thrift store for ~$20,
then plug your existing VCR as an input to it - or get a "new" thrift
VCR for $10 while you are there.  I had no idea DVD recorders had
gotten so pricey, I should start reselling; they come up a few times a
month. (For you I think I have a recorder on my shelf if you want it,
but shipping might be a bear; reply offlist if you can't find one
locally.)

I'm sure there are quality differences between DVD recorders, but to
be honest the recorder doesn't have to last very long or do very much.
I can't see visual differences but my vision is rather sad; YMMV.

I have a dongle like Rich, and a VCP with a USB-out (also thrift store
:) - but for my wedding video I recorded onto a DVD and then ripped
the DVD, rather than deal with Windows video capture software.  I
don't have other VHS that I'm interested in preserving so I am just
letting the clock run out on the rest.

(The kids played with the VCP when I got it but I don't think they
ever got any useful output.  You are welcome to that also, but again
heavy and not very usable.)

Best,
Tim