A question, if I may, from you computer geek types out there. Here is the
issue...I just got my second TIVO, and as you folks may know, you can hook
your TIVOs to your area local network and transfer movies from one TIVO to
the other or to your computer. You can use either a wired network or a
wireless network. My understanding is that with a wireless network you may
get some pauses when watching a recording as it is being transferred from a
remote unit to the one at the location where you are viewing. Here is my
problem. I already have a wired router and local network between two
computers downstairs, but the TIVOs will be in two separate rooms upstairs.
Trying to run the wired network to all those locations would really be a
pain. It would seem like the wireless would be the ticket because of that
but then I wouldn't get the transfer rates I desire and I'd end up spending
some money to change to a wireless network. TIVOs are a bit sensitive on
which wireless USB wireless transceivers they will accept so you can't
always use the unit with the best price. I was thinking, I know, I know a
dangerous proposition, about how DSL uses just a regular phone line to
transfer data and wondered if I could use my existing telephone wiring as
the data lines in a wired network? We are only using one phone line and the
house is wired with a 6 conductor phone cable. Could I use one pair of the
unused conductors as data lines? Is this a crazy idea or could it work? I
would hook the wires directly to the router and then through a wired network
USB transceiver to each TIVO. I'm guessing that I'd also have to put DSL
type low pass filters on each of my phones.

Barry