2.5 hr is not bad to commute back/forth once a week, for either one of you. My wife is 3.5-4 hr, we mostly go back/forth every weekend or two, she will probably be here more often now as she is going to 4-day week.

300 mi would be closer to 4/4.5 hr still doable if it makes sense economically, split your time.

I think of it like military people, some of them are gone for months but things still work out.

My wife bought another little house up there, it actually made some sense given interest rates are low (a house becomes a better investment than your investment accounts) and monthly payment is not a lot different than renting given a low mortgage rate, plus the tax deductions and appreciation that is likely to occur makes it worthwhile.

If you can make the numbers work, and you can stand the bi-locational aspect, it can be made to work out. the way the economy is these days, and how jobs have no guarantee, a lot of people just have to make situations work.

--R