We're way off topic now, but I will go with it-

I am now happily gone from the field of medical reimbursement, but I did work
in that field for nearly 20 years. For a year or so of that time I worked for
a TPA which provided individual health policies to the self-employed. What an
eye-opener!

Such policies by their very nature are non-group and therefore the principle
of shared risk, the fundamental basis of insurance, is not in play. The
Insurer has to get more out of you than they pay, its that simple.
Consequently, these policies look dandy if you are reasonably healthy, but if
you get sick (I mean really sick, you have a heart attack,  are diagnosed
with cancer, or diabetes, say) your insurance company is likely to reach into
its bag of dirty tricks to either rescind your coverage retroactively,
increase your  rates  to the point that you cannot pay them, issue a rider
excluding coverage for your conditon, or declare your condition to be
pre-existing or otherwise excluded under the policy. Failing those things,
the insurer may simply pend all  of your claims for six months to a year
while they investigate to FIND OUT if they can do any of those things, with
the net effect that your bills don't get paid anyway until the investigation
is concluded, if ever.

I'm not kidding. I worked in  the Medical Investigations Unit and later worked
under the TPA's in-house counsel responding to  Department of Insurance
complaints, and this is how the thing worked. If the bill was high enough,
they would even hire a PI to try and find a reason to deny the bills.

Lee