Folks

i learned to drive in a 1951 plymouth and took my driving test in a 1966 Ford
Ranch Wagon with stick shift on the column and overdrive about 1970

Then i mostly drove air cooled VWs with a bad luck Audi 90 wagon and a few
american pickups thrown it, for the next 25 years. We even ran a VW shop and
probably rebuilt 100 engines, personally.

About 1985 someone pointed out a Peugeot diesel wagon, 504, aBOUT 1976. I
bought that and spent the next 5 or 6 years messing with peugeot diesel engines
in 504 and 505 cars, mostly wagons. They would all have cracked heads at about
100k miles. Anyway, Peugeots are very nice cars. Finally i got smart and
switched to Peugeot gas cars. Turbo or non turbo, i never had a major engine
problem with a gas peugeot (only a few water pumps, hoses, etc) and i drove
them up until 7 or 8 years ago.

A good friend had a very nice 1982 300td that he was ready to sell. I bought it
probably about 2000 or so and gave it to my wife to drive. Pretty soon it was
mine and since i'm 8 or 9 years into the WVO experiments i continue to use it
as my daily driver although i have 3 or 4 other diesel mercedes on the road.

Mercedes has by far the best old diesel engines, at least in the 123 cars which
are all that i really know.

I much prefer the comfort and handling of a nice Peugeot 505 wagon.

So, for me, i guess a 617 engine in a peugeot wagon would be great!
thanks,

xx rick
Rick Hawkins