I LOVE my Ace Hardware. I spend more time and money there than any of the big box home stores. For that matter, I haven't been in one of them in several months. I'm at my Ace nearly every weekend.

Most hardware stores are disappointing any more. I find more stuff in the farm store. Nelson's Ace in Eagle River, WI is a very good hardware store, and Hardware Hawaii (Tru-Valu) in Kailua, Oahu, is awesome. It is the biggest hardware store I've ever seen. It is close to the size of a Lowes. Kilgos in Honolulu is a great store also. It is a marine store turned hardware and marine store. My Milwaukee drill came from Kilgos.

It is getting harder to find basic stuff in most hardware stores.

When I was in Jr High and High school, Burkharts was 30 miles away, but it was like a wonderland, as was Merkels in Quincy, IL. Merkels was a hardware store, a toy store and several other stores all in one. It was 3 or 4 floors. Merkels was very far away, so it was maybe once a year or less to go there.