He (sorta) mentioned Extreme Makeover Home Edition below, so --

I had the wonderful opportunity to work on the house that will be featured on the show next Sunday evening. The builers contacted our local woodworkers club to get some volunteers. I build furniture and such, so got drafted to build a piece of furniture and the mantles over the fireplaces. It doesn't look like they show too much of the people doing work on stuff, but it might be my international television debut! The family has 2 little twin girls, both with leukemia, were living in a ratty old trailer about 5 mi west of Nowhere, TX (you go through there on the way to the site) in a little farming community south of Houston, and were having a pretty rough time. The community nominated them for the show, and lots of local people turned out to work on the site. They were all really excited to see this being done for a very deserving family.

It was amazing to be around while they were doing this project. I went down Th afternoon (like Jan 18th-19th or so?) to meet with the organizers, they were scraping the lot and packing sand at that time. Fri morning 6AM the foundation was set and the first floor walls were going up (pre-built off-site). By 3PM the first floor was done, 2nd floor deck was up, and 2nd fl walls were going up, plumbers, electricians, and sheetrockers were on the first floor. By Sat AM the house was fully enclosed, roof shingles going on, painted, stone going up. It was amazing to see controlled chaos producing something that fast, and doing a good job of it too. Had mostly good weather except for Sunday, it rained a fair amount but work proceeded in and out. They turned the house over on Tues to the family. I had to go out of town so missed Mon and Tues, but while I was there it was lots of fun.

So if anyone watches the show, look for a tall guy sorta with a beard (I keep it cut close), working in the Arts tent. I might be on a short spot, as I had a bit of a conversation with one of the Talents while I was cutting mortises in a mantle. In any case you will surely see my mantles. The Brit guy Ed was really nice, and actually did a lot of furniture work with us in the tent. The other Talents were a bit, uh, much, but I guess that is show business.

I have a bunch of pics I'll load to my web site next week, they wanted me to wait til after the show was on.

--R

redghost wrote:

Get that woman on Extreme Home makeover. See what sort of totally messed up deal she can do then!