Part of that problem is that many docs are realizing that it is impossible to cover costs, much less make any money, serving up medicare as the reimbursements are laughably low. In rural areas, where there is a dearth of medical care, you look at a lot of the docs and you will see names that are not "historically American." These docs seem to have figured out how to make a go of it, not necessarily by actually providing what they bill for. I have related in the past the reimbursement for say, a visit to an oncologist by a cancer patient, and no matter what your view of "health" care insurance of the gummint type is, you can see it is unsustainable.

As reimbursements decline further due to Obamacare/medicare/singlepayer or whatever other gummint scheme comes along, you will see no doc offering services to holders of those plans, or long waiting times to get to the docs who still do, for some reason. Oh wait, that is already happening...

"If you like your doctor you can keep your doctor"

"If you like your health [medical] care plan, you can keep your plan"

--R