Youngster drives the 1994 S420, which has some strange function on the power
steering gear that has the solenoid on it for "parameter steering" as it's
described in the EPC.

He's complaining that the steering is becoming "jerky" and will just randomly
move the wheel, not so much that it pulls it out of his hands or he can't
counter the effort.  I'm wondering if this is a result of the "parameter
steering" function and might go away if I disconnect the solenoid on the
steering gear?

I'm pretty much planning on replacing the steering gear, as this is an obvious
safety issue, but if I can buy some time until I can get a rebuilt steering
gear it would be nice.

Dan