Speaking of which...

Some years ago the company I worked for had a contract at an Army facility. For some reason unclear it fell to me to monitor this activity so I would go to this place every few months and act like I knew what was going on, have meetings and make appropriate comments, questions, directives, etc. This was in the early 90s if I recall. At some point there was a Demo Day or Contractor Show or something and our little group had a table there showing off whatever it was we did (I don't even remember). I was wandering around and ended up chatting with someone from the Army org there, and looking around the event I notice this very tall woman (i.e., person in a dress, longish hair marceled) across the way, and remark to the guy, wow, that is a very tall woman there, just in casual conversation, as women of any sort were somewhat in short supply at this facility.

So the guy, who was something in management with the Army org, proceeds to explain this person to me (quietly), that "she" had been a "he", a tank commander in Vietnam and an officer of some distinction, who at the point "he" mustered out after his 20yr or whatever and got a civilian job there at the facility, decided it was time to become a "she." The individual sorta made "her" way over towards us, the guys says to me to look at the hands. The hands were larger than mine, and the person was at least as tall as I (6'4") and NOT attractive as a "woman." Not at all. But the guy tells me that everyone just sorta accepted it, gummint procedures being what they were, and got on with bidness. But he was clearly not entirely with the program. It seems that some people often remarked to the individual about "her" size, etc. and it got a bit awkward, so he warned me if I had the occasion to meet and greet to be cool and not make any obvious comments, esp since I was also tall, etc. That did not happen so was not an issue.

I have a couple of other experiences with Ts that are similarly awkward, but you just get on with life and let them move along...

--BB