If your joint is making noise, the boot probably failed long ago.  Visual
inspection of the boots is easy.  Take a look at the steering joint boots and
guide (brake) rod mount while you are underneath.  The job requires
considerable disassembly so it may be worth replacing other failing rubber at
the same time.

The actual ball joints are cheap, good ones are only like $30 ea.  The required
labor is not cheap.  I think my last ones (for W126) were TRW and they are
fine.  Replacing them requires removing all the brake stuff and then removing
the steering knuckle, which requires a couple cheap presses.  Most folks beat
out the old knuckle with a big hammer (4 lb min).  Pressing in the new one
requires a special press tool (like $300+) although there is a cheaper and
effectie "pipe-like" tool (available on ebay) that you use with a 12-20 ton
press.  A few folks have reported success using a standard C-clamp ball-joint
kit but I'm skeptical that this would damage the new joint.  I did the job
without using  spring compressor (although I have one); the shock and wood
block (under the LCA) held the lower control arm while the knuckle was removed.
 But replacing most of the other rubber (except upper control arm) will require
a good spring compressor.

Scott