Probably a golden skink, very common here in wet springs. I get a few in the house every year -- they sneak in the door when you are going in and out, will wriggle through loose fitting basement doors, or into any other cracks. They love to hide in the gap between the house and outside stairs and places like that.

I also suspect they come down open topped chimneys as well, as I've found them in the fireplaces once or twice.

Harmless, but rather startling.

I now have four cats I inherited from a friend around Christmas, so they won't live long. The cats sorta unsort my storage shelves while they are around, though....

Peter