the difference between first gen CRV and the current one is staggering. FIrst gen was a japanese mini SUV. (or was that micro?) current ones are what I'd call full size.

Same with the toada RAV. (its direct competitor) The current on is the same hight and width as dogde Grand Caravan, and only 5-6" shorter. It is no where near as usable. For all that mass, I'd buy the GC in a heartbeat!

Current pathfinder is huge. pretty close to full size pickup based SUV thing. Original was based on datsun (mini) pickup.

Joel Cairo via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
June 10, 2016 at 8:47 AMvia Postbox <https://www.postbox-inc.com/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=sumlink&utm_campaign=reach> Thanks. He went to the local Carmax and looked at a variety of SUVs. He rated them all on a list (how organized is that?) and liked the Hunda CRV the best, but also liked the Nissan Pathfinder which is a bit larger and a bit more $$. I was suggesting the Nissan, just for the larger mass and safety. I saw a CRV yesterday morning, never paid much attention to them, it was nice but looked small. He looked at the hundays too, was not totally impressed compared to the others. I recall renting one some years ago, thought it was OK too. He also liked some Fords, interesting.

I'm going to look at some of them around here, try to find a suthrun car (a lot of them seem to be from NY for some reason, leases or rentals) to avoid the road salt issue. He will get his financing organized so we can pull the trigger when I find something, he can come here and get it.

--R

Rick Knoble via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
June 10, 2016 at 8:37 AMvia Postbox <https://www.postbox-inc.com/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=sumlink&utm_campaign=reach>
Rich inquires:

The boy wants a "new" car.  I'm thinking a small-mid-sized SUV A/4WD
given he is in a northern climate and it would be roomier than a little
car.

Thoughts?

I recently rented a Jeep Compass, and a Hyundai Santa Fe.

The Jeep was uncomfortable on a long trip.

The Hyundai was an exceptionally good appliance.
Quite comfortable. Great fuel mileage. I would
recommend it, if one is looking for a smaller SUV
type appliance.

Rick

Joel Cairo via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
June 6, 2016 at 2:40 PMvia Postbox <https://www.postbox-inc.com/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=sumlink&utm_campaign=reach> The boy wants a "new" car. I'm thinking a small-mid-sized SUV A/4WD given he is in a northern climate and it would be roomier than a little car. He's OK with that. Looking at Carmax just because I don't want to deal with a stealer or CL. Could maybe get an extended warranty. The local/nearby Carmaxes have a bunch of SUVs, the Nissans and hyundais look all to be ex-rentals ("fleet"). Any thoughts on getting an ex-rental with 15-20k-ish miles? 2013-2015 so a year or 3 old with reasonable miles. He kinda liked a RAV4 but they only had 2WD models, the others I looked at are 4WD.

The basic issue is he does not want to deal with a car except to drive it, I'm thinking the asian stuff is fairly reliable, relatively, and the prices are in the $20k-$23k range which is doable.

Thoughts? BTW he has my dad's old 98 Caddy DeVille that is running fine but the electronic instrument cluster has gone mostly inop. He got another one off ebay which works but it has to be flashed to match the car's computer or something, and that costs like $800-$900 by the time it is pulled, flashed, organized somehow, then reinstalled. He can't get it inspected in nannyland without doing that, I can't see putting that kind of $$ into an 18yo car, I could probably sell it here and get something for it or give it to the girl again.