A good day's work, but the starter on an OM616 is much easier to change.

Curt Raymond via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
June 12, 2016 at 3:52 PMvia Postbox <https://www.postbox-inc.com/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=sumlink&utm_campaign=reach> Back last month before I went on vacation I took my '98 Jetta TDI to work, at lunch it wouldn't start, the solenoid would click but the starter wouldn't spin. My class gave me a running start and I got it home and there its sat for about 4 weeks. So today I set out to pull the starter which according to the interwebs probably has a dirty connection since its only a couple years old. As usual on this car the thing is buried so job one is pull the battery and battery tray. I knew this was going to suck because the PS pump reservoir is bolted to the tray and the allen head of that bolt is stripped. I stopped and bought a stuck bolt remover thingus that grabs the head of the bolt but it won't work on this application because the OD of the grabber is too big. I try to drill it out and drilling off the head of the bolt doesn't get the reservoir off, I start cutting the shaft of the bolt with my dremel but thats going to take all day so I try the angle grinder, unfortunately the bolt is in a recessed spot and I just knick the reservoir and now it leaks... So pull the hose connections and pull the reservoir out. I'd wanted to avoid this since the Pentosin ps fluid is $20/liter but now I've got no real choice. Make a big mess and chuck the battery tray with the reservoir to the side for now. Get the starter out, the connection from the solenoid to the starter looks nasty. Test starter, it spins but not real enthusiastically. Clean the nasty connection and now it spins with authority. Goop some axle grease over the connection to keep it clean. Reinstalling the starter is a BASTARD. The starter bolts are also 2 of 3 motor mount bolts. I finally had to jack up the engine and loosen the last motor mount bolt so I could shift the mount around to get the bottom bolt in. With all 3 bolts loose it was easy but that last one was TIGHT. With everything buttoned back together the car starts. So I took some time to clean and repaint the battery tray. I used JB Weld on the reservoir, the hole is teeny, maybe 1/32" diameter, I think this will be fine. Went out and bought some stainless bolts to replace the one I cut. Still have to source some Pentosin, $23 at Autozone, $20 on Amazon, I'll call the dealer tomorrow and check my local Advance (formerly Car Quest). Feeling rested up enough now to go back out and put the battery tray and ps reservoir back in... Finally while I was there I pulled the horn which hasn't worked for a couple months. Its dead, fixmyvw.com has an OE replacement for the same price as the generic at Autozone. I got a new rear seat release for Angie's Golf while I was at it. I've been waiting on that to find something else I needed...
-Curt