Larry - as long as the glow cycle works OK, and the engine starts right up on 1 or 2 compression strokes, I'd leave the GPs as they are. My 2.5 (1990) still has the original glow plugs and injectors, and they work just fine after 221k miles. A good Italian tune-up once in a while wouldn't hurt, either. Bring it out to V.I.R. the next time the Washington section holds an event there! But I would strongly recommend switching all the lubes to synthetic (Mobil1/Delvac1(truck&SUV)) as soon as you can get to it. With proper care, you should be good to go for at least another 100k miles, probably much more if the service previously done was done well!
Werner

To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2006 5:45 PM
Subject: [MBZ] Bought a Different 300D

http://www.autotrader.com/

While I thought I wanted the 300D I found in NJ, we went by and looked at a 91 300D with only 99k miles. Wanted my wife to see one in person. Since it
had a price of $10000 I passed as this was more than I wanted to pay.  It
drove and looked very nice and best of all was just down the street a few
miles.  As it turned out this was a wholesaler who liked to sell cars and
this one had been there for 40 days.  I can only think the unusually high
price of diesel kept it from selling - diesel is more than premium gas
around here. We got together at $8k and saved myself a trip to NJ with the
plane/train/drive back/day spent that went with it.  Started it from cold
(although it;s in the 60s today) and the light went off after ~5 seconds and the car fired up instantly. Idled smoothly and evenly, shifted as it should
and best of all (for the little woman) it was very quiet!  Accelerated
nicely - especially once warmed up and downshifted as it should. Other than
a rear view mirror needing replacement I didn;t see anything needing
immediate attention.

Plus, this car has less than 100k while the other had 160K. So we went with this one -- will pick it up Saturday. I did a search of 91-93 300D in a 50
mile range of 23831 zip - it;s at Hyman Auto and is pearl gray with a gray
interior.  Comes with all books, has a new spare, the tool kits looks like
its all there also. Climate control worked as did the radio and everything
else as far as I went.

One thing I'm curious about.  Air bags are critical to surviving an
accident - my wife lived because of the air bag she had when she was in a
wreck last Oct - but I'm not sure how you *know* they're still ready and
willing to fire should the need arise. Does the car do a self test of the
air bag to make sure it';s working?

At 99k miles the GPs might be getting long in the tooth.  What;s the best
way to test them? Resistance? what value should they have? I'll switch to Mobil 1 after putting 3000 on this oil. And will change the serpentine belt
if needed - although it looked like it was in very good condition.  What
kind of fuese does it use?  The old ceramic ones?  I know, once it's in my
driveway I'll discover many of these things ---

Anything else I should plan on doing?

Later --

Sincerely,
Larry T ('74 911, '67 MGB, 91 300D 2.5)