Swamp coolers were the only cooling we had in the high desert of NM and CA,
where I lived for 2 years and 5 years, respectively.  They actually do a
good job with low energy consumption providing (1) the ambient relative
humidity is very low (like desert), (2) you start daily cooling long before
you need it, and (3) the "pads" are fully wet before you start the big fan.
Don't forget that nighttime temps get quite low in deserts, even in summer.

But for most parts of the US, a swamp cooler is useless.  The big fan is the
best answer: instant relief.