>It's properly called "Evaporative Cooling" .. "swamp" doesn't correctly
>transmit
the physics in play.

The colloquial name isn't about accurate physics, it's about the subjective
effect.  The act of evaporating water into the interior air makes the
interior cooler and wetter.  I.e. more like the air in a swamp.  Also, if
not cleaned and cared for properly you can get mold/mildew, etc., making
for a _very_ swamp-like experience!

In dry areas where it cools at night you should also be turning it off and
venting the space to get the excess moisture out of the house overnight.
This will help prevent mold/mildew problems.

We like ours.  It takes the edge off just enough, when combined with the
ceiling fans, and does not cost like AC would.  Maintenance is low, and its
costs are minimal.

-- Jim