      From: Meade Dillon via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
 To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Cc: Meade Dillon <dillonm...@gmail.com>
 Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2016 12:19 PM
 Subject: Re: [MBZ] One for Curly, or "How can automakers design a more complex
shifter?"

I blame the Feds.  The CAFE standards are driving automakers to extremes to
lower fuel consumption, which directly results in more human deaths.  From
wikipedia:

"Proposal: On May 19, 2009, President Barack Obama
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama> proposed a new national fuel
economy program which adopts uniform federal standards to regulate both
fuel economy and greenhouse gas emissions while preserving the legal
authorities of DOT, EPA and California. The program covers model year 2012
to model year 2016 and ultimately requires an average fuel economy standard
of 35.5 miles per US gallon (6.63 L/100 km; 42.6 mpg-imp) in 2016 (of 39
miles per gallon for cars and 30 mpg for trucks), a jump from the current
average for all vehicles of 25 miles per gallon."

"Agreement: On July 29, 2011, President Obama announced an agreement with
thirteen large automakers to increase fuel economy to 54.5 miles per gallon
for cars and light-duty trucks by model year
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_year> 2025. He was joined by Ford, GM,
Chrysler, BMW, Honda, Hyundai, Jaguar/Land Rover, Kia, Mazda, Mitsubishi,
Nissan, Toyota, and Volvo—which together account for over 90% of all
vehicles sold in the United States—as well as the United Auto Workers
(UAW), and the State of California, who were all participants in the deal.
[44]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_Average_Fuel_Economy#cite_note-44>
The agreement will result in new CAFE regulations for model year 2017-2025
vehicles which were finalized on August 28, 2012.[45]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_Average_Fuel_Economy#cite_note-45>
The major increases in stringency and the changes in the structure of CAFE
create a need for research that incorporates the demand and supply sides of
the new vehicle market in a more detailed manner than was needed with
static fuel economy standards.[46]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_Average_Fuel_Economy#cite_note-46>

Volkswagen responded to the July 29, 2011 agreement with the following
statement: "Volkswagen does not endorse the proposal under discussion. It
places an unfairly high burden on passenger cars, while allowing special
compliance flexibility for heavier light trucks. Passenger cars would be
required to achieve 5% annual improvements, and light trucks 3.5% annual
improvements. The largest trucks carry almost no burden for the 2017-2020
timeframe, and are granted numerous ways to mathematically meet targets in
the outlying years without significant real-world gains. The proposal
encourages manufacturers and customers to shift toward larger, less
efficient vehicles, defeating the goal of reduced greenhouse gas emissions."
[47]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_Average_Fuel_Economy#cite_note-47>
Additionally, Volkswagen has since approached U.S. law makers about
lowering their proposal to double fuel efficiency for passenger cars by
2025. Volkswagen at the time claimed that the new plan was unfair, but the
company was later revealed to have been systematically cheating emissions
tests. As a result, Volkswagen is one of the only major auto manufacturers
to not sign the agreement that has led to the current proposal from the
Obama administration.[48]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_Average_Fuel_Economy#cite_note-48>
This is yet another example of the law of unintended consequences and the
lobbying power of big corporations coupled with the force of the federal
government, which is literally killing the very people that are supposed to
be "saved".
Max
Charleston SC