Something that you could do to gain on the fight against heat load for the
building is to install a couple of attic fans in the gables. Typically,
they are 3 speed fans, with louvers that are blown open by the fan, and a
screen to keep critters out. Home creepo and Lowes has them.. as a starting
point.

The gable vent location will force the hottest air to exit the building,
thus reducing the overall heat load and improving your comfort level.. If
you did a temp scan on the building with an IR Thermometer you would see
temps at the roof ridge many degrees above the "human level". As the day
progresses, with roof absorption of sun heating.. that temp gradient is
driven lower in the room.. as the heat bubble at the ridge grows.

Vent it.. stay cooler longer.. works with Air Conditioning also.. cold air
drops, hot air rises.. use it to your advantage.