I saw a GenU-wine 57 plymie today! Running down the road, pushbuttons and all! Faded red with a white top. BIG fins!

Mitch Haley via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
June 29, 2016 at 7:05 PM

A friend in high school had a 1962 Polara with push button torqueflite transmission.

http://www.kingoftheroad.net/1964_Chrysler_New_Yorker_wagon/images/64-chry-tranny-buttons.jpg

Scott Ritchey via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
June 29, 2016 at 6:44 PM

The last push-button shifter I saw was on an Edsel.

Joel Cairo via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
June 29, 2016 at 8:19 AM
Driving the ML blueytechie the other day I shut it off (pushed a button) while it was still in "D" (push a lever sorta down) and it appeared not to then go into "P" since I had not pushed the button on the end of the lever to tell it to "P" before pushing it off. It seemed to still be in something other than "P" though no indication of what ("N"?). I think I might then have pushed the "P" button at the end of the "shift" lever or pushed the parking brake button to set the brake (I looked for an actual pedal or mechanical lever but alas there was no such thing) or both as it was on a slight incline anyway, whichever it was it stopped rolling on the incline.

It also has steering wheel paddles, the functions of which I have not bothered to learn yet as it seems to know what it needs to do to move the thing once I tell it to "D" or "R" using the little "shift" lever and push the "throttle" pedal switch lever thing. All the various electronic nannies seem to get their shit together though when I push the "throttle" switch lever pedal as it moves with considerable alacrity and becomes quite entertaining -- not bad for a dizzel.

The brakes on it (brake switch lever pedal) are touchy as hell too, doesn't take much to do a faceplant in the windshield.

One thing I have noticed, and it is mildly annoying, is that it seems to either downshift or put on the JakeBrake when one lets off the "throttle" -- it seems to bog down almost like applying the brake switch lever pedal, not coasting. That might be some function of the transmission downshifting or TC staying locked up or something, I don't know. Or maybe the German nannies just know what I want to do, or should be doing, and do it for me.

I am hoping for the Benzites also to get busted for monkeying with the dizzel nannies so I can get some money from them.

--JC

Curley McLain <mailto:126die...@gmail.com>
June 28, 2016 at 11:59 PM
Yep! the pushbutton gearshift has gone to the absurd! A simple lever still works best, even if it is only and electric switch with detents. At the auction I had to drive some of those miserable goofy things. The one pictured as lan drover, with the rotary switch was in something I drove, but not a lan drover. MB is right there with the absurdity, but at least theirs is somewhat easy to decipher.

But a multimillion$$$$$$$ lawsuit won't stop them from using stupid, non-intuitive gagets in place of a gear shift. All the millions toada had to pay out for the push and pray did not slow down the use of push and pray.

THe "gear shift" is now in the hands of software developers, and not engineers. Software developers love to make the use of the software obscure, odd, weird, or oddball, so that you need a class to be able to use a telephone. (as an example) It is not about functionality, but about how to impress other software nerds with how obscure and weird I made this. Look for more "gearshift" deaths, just like "Push and pray" deaths.

The pushbutton gearshift of the 50s was workable, if unreliable. the new pushbutton gearshifts are not workable, reliable or safe. BEWARE!

Buy a 123, 124 or 126, or 116, or 108-115 instead!

Meade Dillon via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
June 28, 2016 at 12:03 PM
PRNDL is dead, long live PRNDL!

http://www.autonews.com/article/20160627/OEM11/306279980/array-of-levers-and-dials-complicates-a-once-simple-function

I would think that if I needed to read the manual just to figure out how to
shift the transmission, I have just demonstrated that the car (or truck or
whatever) is too complex and a hazard to operate.

Competing for dash / console space with all the rest of the buttons and
dials? That statement alone should be a clue that there is a deeper
problem here.