> Apparently Craig wrote:
>
> Recently, our laptop, the only thing around here with Windows on it,
> was broken, so I have been thinking about installing a Virtual Box virtual
> machine and then Windows 7 32-bit on that.
>
> I have downloaded the RHEL5 RPM file and can install that easily.
>
> What do I do then?

Install the VirtualBox package, deal with the dependencies,
and launch the GUI.  Then get out a MSWin installer disk,
create a new guest machine, and proceed to install MSWin onto
it. *smiles*

Max wrote:

Uh, I may be wrong, but the Oracle Virtual Box that I
played with was not a "bare metal" operating system, it was
a program that ran inside the M$ OS.

Correct.  You get VirtualBox for your host OS - (MS, *nix,
Mac).  Then VirtualBox can create a "guest" - which _acts_
like a bare metal computer.  It uses a hostOS file as it's
harddrive and you can then install any OS you want on the
guest.

I have never run on a MS host, but I have many Linux hosts
setup.
The general scheme is a host can have one or more guests
running on it.  The OS on each guest thinks its running a
bare metal machine - but it's not.  Each guest connects to
the outside world through the host, and can be "operated"
either from the host.

The harddrive file can be "dynamically allocated" which makes
a sparse file on the host, meaning the guest can be told it
has a 20G harddrive, but the host "harddrive" file is only as
big as what is used - up to the full 20G. Over time, it will
grow, and there are tools to allow reducing the size.

VirtualBox like to have RAM, but I run WinXP guest on a
Debian host with 2G RAM, so it doesn't have to be huge
amounts to work.

The guest NIC can be bridged or NAT.
Oh, I do recommend "guest additions" - which is software for
the _guest_ to make it easier/smoother to manage it from the
host.

I abandoned dual boot a decade or so ago and all my MSWin
dependencies are managed in various guests.  USB now works
well, network has worked well for a long time, serial is
solid - but any tight connections to external hardware stuff
is the most likely place for there to be a problem.
When I had dual boot, I had to install enough software in
MSWin that I could function  - browser, PDF reader, file
manager, etc.  With it as a guest OS, all that is handled by
the host.  Copy/paste even works between the host and the
guest.

In my MSWin guests, I can run the latest version of Acrobat
Reader (no longer available for Linux, but required for
fill-in tax forms), CAD program, etc.

One guest is only for my ancient Garmin.  It was a install
all the bits to make it work - now it's "portable" in that I
can "Export an Appliance" which is VirtualBox speak for
making a portable copy that I can then open on any host.
Same sort of thing for iTunes - but that one didn't relocate
very well.
I have a Linux guest with the harddrive set to
"immutable" (it reverts every time it reboots) so the kids
who can't read can use the computer and if they mess
something it "fixes itself" *smiles*.