My mini-split quit working the other night, indoor units are blinking 5 times which seems to be a code (if I can understand Korengrish) that they are no longer communicating with the outdoor compressor unit. I thought the thing might have gone low on refrigerant but my guy came by today and hooked up a tank and the thing would not come on, it did not look like it was low on refrigerant even before he hooked up the tank. I guess I am going to have to get in and do some troubleshooting on the board and connections to see if the board fried or what.

In any case we talked about these things, he is not a fan of them as with all the connections they tend to leak down. I have 16 connections between the compressor unit and the 4 head units, but it looked like it has been holding. I mentioned I should just get a tank of gas and some gauges and have it around to keep my units topped off, he agreed that was reasonable to do. It's 410A refrigerant, gauges look standard but he had to use an adaptor to fit the Schrader on the unit. I am presuming I need to go get an AC "license" to buy the tank of gas, gauges should be easy to get. The manual gives the whole charging procedure so nothing exotic there.

Who has gotten a "license" on the EPA site? What's that like? My guy would probably buy me a tank if I asked him, he's pretty easy about the whole deal.

--
--BB