Hello listers.  Today, I finally had the time and equipment to change the oil
in my Beetle TDI 15Kmi.  I set up my topsider, took out the dipstick, and
pumped it up.  It worked flawlessly!  To get to the oil filter, I had to remove
the decorative engine cover which is held in place by a ball and socket mount
in each corner, I was greeted by an engine covered with wires and hoses going
every which way.  So where’s the dang oil filter???    After a few minutes of
feeling around and a few more minutes on Google, I found an informative post
describing the exact location and the 32mm socket needed for removal.  Luckily,
Dad gave me all his tools once he could no longer work on cars, so I found the
ratchet, socket, and the appropriate extension.  It had to be long enough for
the ratchet to clear the cooling line just above the filter housing.  It broke
loose easily, but I had to finish the last few turns by hand since I needed
clearance to remove the socket.  I had to be careful when removing the filter
from the spring-loaded mechanism that holds it onto the inside of the cap since
the plastic teeth can break off.  This went off without a hitch.  I then
lubricated and inserted the provided filter cap o-ring and mounted the new
filter.  The installation of the filter also went well.  The kit I bought came
with a 5.0l jug of Ravenol 5w/30 full synthetic motor oil that meets the VW
507.00 specification.  I put in the 4.3l (4.54qt of oil and fired it up.  The
engine sounded quieter and smoother.  I’m sure that the next one will take haf
the time if I don’t forget by the time I reach the 10Kmi interval.

Kevin in Hillsboro, OR
2014 VW Beetle TDI Convertible, 15Kmi, Beetlejuice