That started with the F-16 back in the 70s I believe. Somewhere I have some photos of the YF-12A (I think that is what it was called), the F-16 prototype, doing some maneuvers at Langley AFB. I was working at NASA Langley as an intern in the Flight Research group where there were various aircraft (airplanes and helicopters) that were being tested with that sort of control system. Having a statically-unstable aircraft enhances its maneuverability as it really really wants to do those crazy things a fighter pilot sometimes wants it to do!

--FT