Maybe you'll be lucky and it just tossed the
pump chain.

That would certainly explain the metallic slapping if indeed the oil pump chain is flopping around in there. With only $175 in the thing so far, it may still be a waaaaay under $1K mercedes. However, there's the haunting proverb (there's nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes. I sure hope that your car doesn't hold true to that! I haven't had time to really get anywhere with the $100 220D, but I should know whether or not it's got a chance to be a driver by next week.

Kevin in Hillsboro Oregon
1972 220D project