Again breaking in (see what I did there?) with car news.
Some of you might remember some months ago I replaced the rear brake pads and
calipers on the Golf I also free'd up the sticking caliper pins to make the
calipers actually work.
At the time I bled the brakes with my new power bleeder but the pedal travel
remained short and touchy. A lot of newer vehicles are like that and I hate it.
The repair instructions on myturbodiesel.com suggested using the VCDS (no idea
what it stands for, its the computer link to the car) to bleed the ABS
controller. I tried that but it didn't help.
Recently it occurred to me I was probably doing it wrong, so today while trying
to troubleshoot laggy turbo performance I ran through the ABS pump output tests
a couple times. Result: MUCH better pedal feel. So I'd managed to bleed the air
out of the calipers but air in the ABS pump itself was giving me squishy
brakes...
-Curt